12.16.2019,4:57 PM
On Both Sides
On Both Sides

It was the same dream 
so many times over
The last five decades.
But recently.....
Not in a long time.

Running on all fours,
Branches and leaves 
Snapping and sliding 
Along my body.
Breathing hard and fast
Tongue slipping from my muzzle
With each labored breath.

Odors stronger and sharper
Than ever before.
Each paw hitting the ground 
In asymmetrical gait.
The rush of oxygen through my lungs
Fueling my body.

A sense of Fear, 
Excitement,
And urgency.
Loping through the forest
branches reaching for my skin.

And a howl breaks loose
From my throat
While I stand still,
Between quick catches of breath.
Ears erect
And a nose full of aromas
Of life around me.
I am enveloped.

I sing a song
Of aloneness 
The howl echoes 
Off the mountain sides
And comes back to haunt me
Asking if I am human
Or canid.

And my answer 
Crawls on the human skin
And the fur I wear.

I am me.
That no one knows

Not even myself.

Labels:

 
posted by Macrobe
Permalink ¤